Aren’t we all familiar with the rich and creamy coconut milk, we often use to enhance the flavour of our favourite curries? Interestingly it is also highly nourishing for a beauty boost; especially for the skin and hair. Beauty geeks are raving about the benefits of coconut milk as the high in healthy fatty acids, proteins and vitamin E, C, B6 with excellent moisturising and repairing properties is also rich in copper. Coconut Milk prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, acne and age spots while for the hair it keeps issues of dandruff, white hair, baldness and brittle locks at bay. In short, coconut milk could just be your top go-to beauty kitchen ingredient for amazing hair and skin. Here’s how it benefits us and the multiple uses of coconut milk, to add to your summer skin and hair care rituals.
1. Moisturises the Skin – Coconut milk is highly hydrating and can combat dry skin problems. You can extract fresh coconut milk and apply all over your face with the help of cotton pads and may reapply the milk a couple of times after it dries off, and then rinse it with water. And if you have ultra -dry skin then simply add a few drops of almond oil. All these concoctions help you moisturize and lighten the skin.
2. Coconut Milk Bath – What better way to indulge in luxury than having a moisturising coconut milk bath to renew the body? Take a cup of coconut milk, add half a cup of rose water and add this mix to your bath water and voila simply soak in. Talk about weekend beauty indulgences?
3. Soothing Sunburn Coconut milk is a great alternative to soothe or repair sunburnt skin. It is cooling and gentle. Simply dip a cotton pad in fresh coconut milk and dab on the sunburnt or tanned area to reduce redness and irritation. You may even add aloe vera and cucumber juice to it.
4. Makeup Remover – Looking for a non-drying makeup remover option suited for all skin types? Hunt no further, simply dip a cotton ball into fresh coconut milk and remove your makeup gently. The fatty acids present in the milk melts all the stubborn makeup leaving a nourished skin. You can mix olive oil or creamy yogurt with coconut milk in a 2:1 ratio to mildly clean your skin.
5. Prevent premature aging – With high dose of vitamin C and E it can help maintain your skin’s elasticity. Moisturise, hydrate, nourish the skin with coconut milk to get supple, smoothing skin and bid goodbye to fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Treating Skin Conditions – If you have sensitive and oily skin, coconut milk is ideal for you, and due to its antibacterial properties, it also helps keep acne at bay. Besides its soothing and moisturising properties, it can be used to treat super dry and irritated skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
7. Restores Dry, Damaged Hair – With nourishing benefits, if you regularly apply coconut milk to damaged hair, expect hydrated, shiny and happy hair in a few days.
8. Hair Conditioner – High in fatty acids and vitamin E, coconut milk is ideal for conditioning the hair deeply. You may use coconut milk as a leave-in conditioner and wash it off after about thirty minutes for soft and silky crowning glory.
9. Encouraging Hair Growth – With tons of proteins and essential nutrients that boost hair growth, regular application of coconut milk will result in strong, smooth and thicker tresses.
10. Boosting Hair Masks – If you are looking for an effective and organic hair mask, coconut milk is it! Add a few drops of coconut milk to your hair mask mix to make it more nourishing.
Making Coconut Milk Start by heating the water and before it starts boiling, pour it into the blender over the shredded coconut.
Blend for two minutes and strain the mix.
And there you have your coconut milk.
DIY Coconut Milk Packs
1. You can soak 6-7 almonds overnight, and peel their skins off in the morning, grind into a smooth paste and add 5-6 drops of coconut milk. Mix well and apply this paste on your face for 15 minutes, and wash it off with cold water.
2. We all love a glow on the face and coconut milk can bring the glow back to your face. Mix coconut milk with sandalwood powder, a few saffron strands and honey. Apply it on skin and leave it to dry, and wash off. There’s brighter skin for you!
3. Exfoliate skin by mixing coconut milk with powdered oats and scrub your skin. Leave it on for two to five minutes and wash with lukewarm water. Another way to use coconut milk as an exfoliator is to mix it with some coconut oil and roughly grounded sugar. Your skin will look super smooth and glow after you use this scrub and wash off, learn to be gentle here.
4. For dry skin, you can add some honey to coconut milk, and leave on the skin as a face pack for 15 minutes.
5. Skin Whitening Mask – When mixed with milk powder, coconut milk works as a skin whitener. The same goes with a turmeric and coconut milk paste that can be used up to three times a week.
6. De-tangle knots in hair by using three parts coconut milk, one part avocado oil, and 12 drops of rosemary and sage essential oils to keep damage and breakage out of hair. Heat the coconut milk and avocado oil together over a low-flame and then add your essential oils. Section and apply on damp hair and work from the edges to the root of the hair.
Beauty Expert Shraddha Singh says, ‘ Drinking and wearing coconut milk can keep you feeling and looking great. If you are inclined to, instead of using coconut oil to massage your skin, you can heat coconut milk until it turns to oil and add a pinch of turmeric to this. It can be used to massage your skin. If you want to reverse ageing, simply take 6-8 soaked and grinded almonds, extract oil from 2-3 vitamin E capsules and add it to few drops of thick coconut milk. Your magical wrinkle cure cream is ready!’