Brunch is such a luxury isn’t it? Folks, take it slow this weekend, we are fast approaching Valentine’s day hence time to pamper your partner. This is the month to celebrate love, ditch the restaurant and the cliché rather stir things up a little, cook some elaborate brunch this cold valentine’s weekend. Show your beloved some homey love with a simple, tasty, wholesome and assorted brunch in bed with a few snuggles to boot! Take notes lovebirds, and thank us later!
Stuffed Mushrooms by Food stylist & blogger Raksha Kamat
- 12 button mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 8 garlic pods, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon green chili sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 6 tablespoon grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon pizza/Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoon coriander leaved, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the mushrooms gently.
- Separate the stems from the mushroom caps.
- Finely chop the mushroom stems.
- Heat a wok and add oil.
- After oil gets heated, add finely chopped onion and fry till it turns pinkish.
- Add chopped garlic and fry till raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy.
- Add the mushroom stems, close the kadai/wok and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, stir and add the sauces and cook for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the gas.
- Add the pizza seasoning and garlic powder and mix well.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180C for 5 minutes.
- Line the baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Gently rub each mushroom cap with butter on the outer side.
- Stuff the mushroom cap with the prepared stuffing.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese all over them.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms on the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes at 180C in convection mode.
- After 10 minutes, remove the baking tray and turn it to the other side and bake for further 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves or parsley. Serve hot.
Strawberry Greek Yogurt Hotcakes by Anita Mirchandani, diet expert, Epigamia
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup ground oat flour (Take whole oats and grind to powder form)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of nutmeg (optional)
- 1 ½ cups of whole milk (or almond milk if dairy free)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (or almond extract)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (chopped or even blended into puree)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, oat flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and mix well until smooth. Add the yogurt and strawberries and mix well.
- Heat a medium size nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat and grease with butter, coconut oil or nonstick cooking spray. Spoon a quarter cup of the batter onto the pan for each pancake and cook just until bubbles form around the edges of each pancake, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Transfer the pancakes to a plate.
- Serve the pancakes topped with maple syrup and any additional fruit of choice.
Niçoise Salad by Executive Chef Amit Sinha, L’ Opera
This refreshing Mediterranean salad combines the invigorating taste of black olives with wholesome eggs, tuna and string beans for a healthy experience, straight from the south of France.
Ingredients: (for 2 people)
- 200g fresh tuna
- 4 potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 5g French beans (string beans) topped, cooked and drained
- 4 little lettuce hearts, quartered lengthways
- 2 eggs, cooked for 5 minutes in boiling water from room temperature, halved
- 8 black olives
For the Dressing:
* 100ml extra virgin olive oil
* 3 tbsp vinegar
* 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
* 2 garlic cloves
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp black pepper
Mix all the wet ingredients and then the dry ones. Throw in the prepared eggs, tuna and give it a good stir.
Rainbow Parfait by Anita Mirchandani, diet expert, Epigamia
For this recipe, there are two parts. First, check out our homemade granola recipe. Second, delicious low-fat, high protein Greek yogurt.
It’s simple yet wholesome, nutritious and tasty.
Part 1: Granola
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/3 raw honey
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Melt coconut oil for 30 seconds
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Transfer to a glass baking pan or baking tray and spread evenly
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove and mix so that the mixture gets cooked throughout
- Place back into the oven for another 15 minutes
- Remove and cool
- Store in an airtight container
*Note: Pay attention to your oven because you don’t want the granola to burn.
Part 2: Assemble the Parfait
* Strawberry, Mango, and Green Apple are perfect for this recipe. You can choose how you want to layer them.
* When ready to assemble, place ½ container yogurt in bottom of glass. Add a layer of granola, then chopped dried fruit or fresh fruit such as figs, berries, sliced apple, or even sliced banana. then chopped dark chocolate (optional) and repeat.
* This recipe should fill at least 4 stemless wine glasses about ¾ full.
Honey Almond Cake by Chef Ritwik Sarkar, Indigo Deli Cyber Hub, Gurgaon
For the sponge:
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter till smooth and add castor sugar to it.
- In another bowl sieve refined flour and mix it with almond powder and baking powder.
- Break 6 whole eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk till smooth.
- Add the whisked eggs to the creamed butter mixture, whisking it little at a time.
- Now, add the dry ingredients to the above mixture in batches and mix it using an egg beater or a spatula till smooth.
- Line a 1kg cake mould with melted butter and butter paper and add this mixture to it.
- Bake at 160 degrees centigrade for 25 to 30 minutes till cooked. Cool on a cooking rack and demould. -Now, remove the butter paper and trim the excess sponge to level the cake.
For the Topping:
*Roast the almonds and cut them roughly. Now mix all the ingredients together and cook till the almonds are well coated with the syrup. Add this topping on top of the sponge and bake at 180 degrees for another 4 minutes.