Nobel laureate Desmond Tutu is back in a South African hospital just days after he left following three weeks of treatment.
Mr Tutu’s family said on Saturday that the 84-year-old retired archbishop was readmitted as a precaution after a surgical wound showed “signs of infection”.
The family said Mr Tutu had the surgical procedure 10 days ago to counter “recurring infections resulting from past treatment received for prostate cancer”.
Mr Tutu, who has been treated for prostate cancer for many years, was hospitalised several times last year.
He was an outspoken opponent of apartheid, South Africa’s former system of white minority rule, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984.