Pie week is going to end soon, it is time to conclude the week with impressive pies that are versatile – they taste great hot, warm or cold, so you can make it well ahead. A hearty pie makes a stunning centre-piece for everyday or entertaining, hence indulge one of these sumptuous pies today. The sweet pies can be your spectacular seasonal dessert or even a spring staple, promising a sweet ending to any meal. While the savoury pies could be your quintessential comforting pie all of which you can make in a flash, here are some super-speedy classic and over-the-top new favourites from the experts.
Cape Gooseberry Pie Recipe*
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
MAKES: 8 servings
* 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup cold butter, cubed
* 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
* 2 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup cornflour
* Dash salt
* 1/3 cup water
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
* 4 cup fresh Cape gooseberries
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough into two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, whisk sugar, cornflour, salt, water and, if desired, cinnamon until smooth; add gooseberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Add lemon juice to this mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Vegetable & Chicken pie
- Dice and keep the butter in the refrigerator.
- Mean while place flour, salt, sugar in a bowl.
- Mix well all three ingredients and then add the butter slowly in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the cold water and start mixing the flour till it begins to form ball.
- Dump out the entire mixture on a floured board and roll into a ball.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile take a pie shell and grease it with the butter.
- Once the dough is set in refrigerator take it out and roll it into a sheet then fit it in the pie shell.
- Half bake it in preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 15 minutes or till it gets desired color.
- Repeat same with the top crust also.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 cup chicken mince
- ½ cup cooking cream
- ½ cup diced blanched carrot
- ½ cup blanched green peas
- ½ cup sliced and sautéed button mushroom
- ½ cup red pepper cut into thin strips and sautéed
- ½ cup yellow pepper cut into thin strips and sautéed
- 2 sprig chopped thyme
- 1 Sprig chopped rosemary
- 2 table spoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 table spoon olive oil
- 2 cup grated yellow cheddar cheese or any melting cheese of your choice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Take a pan add olive oil; once the oil is heated add chopped garlic, thyme and rosemary. Sauté well till the entire flavor is infused in the oil.
- Add chicken mince to it and cook well.
- Once the chicken is cooked add all the vegetables, cream and mix well in the pan.
- Take out the mixture in a bowl and let it cool.
- Add the grated cheddar cheese to the chicken mixture and give a proper stir so that all the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Place the mixture in the half baked pie shell, cover the pie and egg wash with the beaten egg on the top covering of the pie.
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 30 minutes or till the crust gets the golden brown color.
Apple Pie with Custard*
* 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup cold butter
* 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples, (about 4 medium)
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup evaporated milk
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup sugar
* In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Arrange apples over the crust. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake at 375° C for 20 minutes.
* For custard, whisk milk, egg and sugar in another small bowl until smooth; pour over apples. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
* Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
* Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
* Yield: 6-8 servings.
Turkey, Cranberry and Parmesan Pie by Rainforest
- 150 GM minced turkey meat
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 50 GM Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black peppercorn
- 5 gm Garlic powder
- 25 GM carrots
- 25 GM chopped bell peppers
- 25 GM Onion
- 15 GM leeks
- 100 GM puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 50 GM cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 15 GM Butter
- In a Pan heat butter. Then add onion, leeks, and cook till soft.
- Add carrots , bell peppers and turkey and cook till well done. Now add cranberries, parmesan cheese celery salt, garlic powder and adjust seasoning.
- Remove from flame and add cheddar cheese and lightly beaten egg. Keep aside.
- Now roll the puff pastry sheet and add the prepared stuffing in the centre, and bake in the oven at 180 C for 20 mins till the top is nice golden in color.
- Serve hot with cranberry sauce.
*By Chef Shelly Sahay, Elma’s Bakery
*By Chef Gopi, Goldfinch Hotel Bengaluru