Freshen up your Easter holiday menu with these interesting recipes. Enjoy a lazy Easter Holiday break and put on a help-yourself spread for friends and family, with recipes for spring snacks and desserts. Dont forget, these delectable ideas are great to keep your kids happy and healthy during the spring holidays.
Chef Ajay Chopra, Executive Chef, The Westin
ALMOND PUMPKIN KABAB
- 500g pumpkin
- 1 1/2 tsp green chilies, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic and ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cracked coriander
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- 1 tbsp dry mango powder
- 40g clarified butter
- 20g Almond, slivered
- 40g almonds chopped
- Peel, deseed and grate the pumpkin.
- Heat desi ghee in a thick bottom casserole pan and sauté ginger and garlic, green chilies, cumin seeds and all the spices
- Add the pumpkin. Cook for 15-20 minutes till the pumpkin is cooked and the water has dried out.
- Add the chopped almonds and cook for another 5 minutes. Let the mixture cool down.
- Cut them
- into rough, thin patties 30g each.
- Coat them with slivered almonds
- Heat clarified butter in a pan and place the patties in medium hot oil.
- Cook till the bottom caramelizes and then carefully turn the patties.
- Cook them till they are crisp from outside.
Preparation time: 20-25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Unsalted butter 100g
- Castor sugar 60g
- Khoya 120g
- Almonds 300g
- Clarified Butter 90 gm
- Mascarpone cheese 50g
- Cream unsalted butter and sugar together in the machine bowl of planetary mixer with paddle attachment, until thick and creamy. Alternatively, you can use a wooden spoon and a bowl to cream butter and sugar.
- Add the flour and mix well. This pastry is for the tart base, refrigerate in the fridge for about 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Grind the almonds to a slightly coarse powder.
- Heat clarified butter in a heavy bottom pan, add the almond powder and cook on slow heat.
- Cook till slightly brown, add the sugar and cook further 5-10 mins.
- Add the khoya and cook for 10-15 minutes. The almonds and khoya should bind together.
- Roll out the pastry in to a 9 inch round and line a 8 inch tart shell with the rolled pastry.
- Bake at 180 degree Celsius for about 15-20 mins till the pastry is fully cooked and golden in colour.
- Mix the almond halwa with mascarpone cheese and fill the tart with this mixture evenly.
- Garnish with slice toasted almonds and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional).
Almond and Cranberry Beatened Rice Special
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Almond Flakes – 200g
- Poha – 450g
- Onion – 200g
- Frozen/dried cranberries – 100g
- Salt – 15g
- Oil – 20ml
- Curry leaves – 15g
- Green chilies – 5g
- Fresh coconut – 100g
- Soak flattened rice in cold water, strain it and keep it aside.Soak 3/4th of almond flakes in water and toast the rest of them.
- In a pan take oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped green chilies and sauté it. Then, add soaked poha andalmonds in it and then add seasoning.
- Add cranberries in it, then add chopped coriander and fresh grated coconut.Add the toasted almonds in the poha or flattened rice dish.
- Serve it hot with sprig of coriander as garnish.
Happy Easter Holidays!