New York City marks first bullet-free weekend in 25 years

New York City marks first bullet-free weekend in 25 years

SHARE

The New York Police Department (NYPD) has reported that the city experienced its first shooting-free weekend in a quarter of a century. The NYPD did not receive a single report of a shot fired for all of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Speaking to the New York Post, NYPD Chief of Department Terence Monahan said:

“I really don’t remember a weekend that no one was shot in the entire city.”
New York’s mayor Bill de Blasio commended the lack of gun violence over the weekend while speaking at an NYPD graduation ceremony.

A city of 8.6 million people, not a single shooting for three days,” he said, crediting the hard work of the police force and calling them “a winning team”. He referred to the streak as “extraordinary” and “amazing”.

According to the NYPD CompStat figures, there have been a total of 600 shooting incidents so far this year.
This is down 2% on the same time last year.

Advertisements