Summer is the year’s best time for hearty salad. The sunnier months calls for some healthy, flavourful salads to give us the much needed vegetable driven deliciousness. Fresh, crisp and light, that’s how we love to eat in summer. The vibrancy of vegetables, fruits, seeds, dry fruits add an element of sweetness and zest to any salads, whether it be sweet or savoury. Folks, what better way than with a killer salad packed with flavour? Needless to add, salads can be so good when it’s done just right. Here are more reasons to get more green in your diet. Check out how you can make the most of the salad season with some of our favourites and make a meal of healthy eating.
Executive Chef, Ankit Mangla, Plaza Premium Lounge gives us four irresistible and super healthy summer salads.
Apple, Pear & Walnut Salad
- 300g Romaine lettuce, picked & washed
- 1 Large apple, thinly sliced
- 1 Large pear, thinly sliced
- 30g toasted walnuts
- 30g dried cranberries
- Crushed Black pepper, to taste
Lemon-Poppy seed dressing:
- 30g Lemon juice
- 125g Salad Oil
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Minced Onion
- To taste salt
- Pinch breakfast sugar
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds, toasted
- Process oil and remaining ingredients (except half of Poppy seeds) in a blender until smooth.
- Add toasted poppy seeds to the dressing and refrigerate till further use.
- Toss the salad ingredients together with Salad dressing.
- Garnish with some of Toasted walnuts, Cranberries and Poppy Seeds, serve immediately.
Baby Beetroots, Feta and Rocket Salad
- 400g baby Beetroots, trimmed
- 2 tbsp Salad oil
- 2 bunches rocket leaves, picked & washed
- 50g feta cheese
- To taste salt
- To taste black pepper; crushed
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
* In a Preheated oven (200°C); Place the pricked beetroot halves on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool. Peel and cut in halves.
Combine the rocket and beetroot in a serving bowl. Top with Feta cheese. Combine oil and vinegar and drizzle over the salad.
Green papaya salad, Lemon-chili dressing
- 2 no raw papaya, shredded
- 1 no raw mangoes, shredded
- 2 no carrot, shredded
- A handful cherry tomato, halves
- 2 tbsp Coriander fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roasted, chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp salad oil
- 2 tbsp jaggery, powdered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small fresh red chili
Toss all the ingredients and drizzle the dressing. Serve garnished with cherry tomatoes, spring onions, coriander, peanuts and sesame seeds