When summer school holidays roll round, the last thing kids want is to be eating what they’d find in their daily lunch box. In order to beat the monotony, we have got you a few interesting chicken recipes and puddings inspired from Mediterranean region to please the family. Here are some holiday meals that will make their time off feel ultra-special and super delicious! Rest assured, everyone will gobble it up with glee, bonus! Here’s how we are making your summer holiday meal planning easy and interesting. Executive Chef, Ankit Mangla, Plaza Premium Lounge gives us three finger licking recipes.
Arabic spiced Rice with Chicken
- 1 whole Chicken with skin, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped
- 3 cups long grain rice, washed and soaked for an hour
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 no. Onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp spice mix
- 4 no. Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 no. Carrots, grated
- 2 tbsp ghee
- To taste salt & pepper
- 4 cups Water
- ½ cup Almonds, slivered and toasted
- ¼ cup sultanas
* A small piece of cinnamon
* Few leaves of bay leaf
* Cardamom green – 3-4 Cloves – 5- 6
Baharat Spice Mix
* ½ tsp saffron
* ¼ tsp ground green cardamoms
* ½ tsp ground cinnamon
* ½ tsp ground allspice
* ¼ tsp white pepper, powdered
* ½ tsp ground dried limes
Mix together and store!
* Marinate chicken with Salt, pepper and half of garlic for at least 2 hours.
* Heat a large pan with oil, add marinated chicken, onions, garlic and salt. Sauté and add tomato paste, tomatoes, carrots, baharat, tomato puree, whole spices, orange zest and mix well. Now add in water and bring it to a boil.
* Adjust the seasoning and add rice. Once it begins to boil again, cover and simmer for 30 minutes till rice has absorbed all the liquid.
* Serve garnished with almond and raisins.
Spiced Chicken Rice
- 1 cup rice, soaked for half an hour
- 1 cup black lentils, soaked for half an hour
- 1 no. Onion, chopped
- 3 pcs garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 no. onion, sliced, browned slowly for garnish
* In a pan, add olive oil and the chopped onion, brown them on medium heat.
* Once browned, add garlic, sauté and add lentils with water, bring to boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
* Add rice and spices, seasoning and mix well. Cook covered on low heat for 20 – 25 minutes.
- 4 no. Chicken thigh boneless, cubes
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
* Marinate chicken in a bowl with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, cumin, curry powder, salt and pepper and olive oil. Keep for 4 hours.
* Skew them and bar be cue ken you can either barbecue about 4 – 5 minutes on each side
* Serve on top of Mujaddara rice garnished with brown onions.
- 1 pkt frozen puff pastry
- 1 ltd milk
- 200 gm sugar grain
- 50 gm Cashewnuts, chopped
- 50 gm Pistachios, chopped
- 50 gm raisins
- 50 gm fresh cream
- Few drops vanilla essence
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry and roll into thin sheets. Place in a dusted pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius till crisp, take out and keep at room temperature.
- Boil milk in a pan, add vanilla essence and sugar. Take out and bring down to room temperature.
- Grease a cake mould and place baked puff pastry randomly in the mould. Add boiled milk to the mould. Add nuts.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius, for 15 minutes.
- Take out from the oven once done, bring down to room temperature and serve garnished with cream and nuts.