Several women have made allegations of sexual assault against Donald Trump in a series of interviews, adding to the already damaging revelations about the Republican presidential nominee’s aggressive sexual comments about women.
His campaign dismissed the allegations as having no merit or veracity, and attacked one of the media outlets that published the women’s accounts as carrying on a vendetta.
In a letter from his lawyers, Mr Trump demanded the New York Times retract what it called a “libellous article” and apologise.
“For The New York Times to launch a completely false, co-ordinated character assassination against Mr Trump on a topic like this is dangerous,” said Jason Miller, Mr Trump’s campaign spokesman.
“To reach back decades in an attempt to smear Mr Trump trivialises sexual assault, and it sets a new low for where the media is willing to go in its efforts to determine this election.”
Jessica Leeds, 74, of New York, told the newspaper she encountered Mr Trump on an airline flight three decades ago.
Ms Leeds said he grabbed her breasts and tried to put his hand up her skirt. “He was like an octopus,” she told the newspaper. “His hands were everywhere.”
Rachel Crooks, of Ohio, said she met him at Trump Tower in 2005. Aged 22 at the time, she said he kissed her “directly on the mouth” against her will.
Mr Trump denied the accusations, saying: “None of this ever took place.”
The letter from his lawyers said unless the paper removed the article from its website and ceased further publication, it would pursue “all available actions and remedies”.
In Florida, the Palm Beach Post reported that Mindy McGillivray, 36, told the newspaper Mr Trump groped her at his Mar-a-Lago estate 13 years ago.
People magazine reporter Natasha Stoynoff also posted a story about a 2005 incident at Mar-a-Lago where, she wrote, he “was pushing me against the wall, and forcing his tongue down my throat”.
The Trump campaign said there was no “merit or veracity” to either story.
Hillary Clinton’s communication’s director, Jennifer Palmieri, said in a statement that the latest run of allegations “sadly fits everything we know about the way Donald Trump has treated women”.
The interviews come days after the publication of a recording from 2005, on which Mr Trump made a series of vulgar and sexually predatory comments about women.
While waiting to make a cameo appearance on a soap opera, he bragged to then-Access Hollywood host Billy Bush that his fame allowed him to force himself on women.
“And when you’re a star, they let you do it,” Mr Trump said, adding later: “Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.”
Mr Trump has apologised for the comments on the recording, but also dismissed them as “locker room talk” and a distraction from the campaign.
Asked during Sunday’s presidential debate whether he had ever engaged in the sort of conduct he described in 2005, he said: “No. I do not.”
The reports about his conduct came at the end of a day during which an increasingly confident Ms Clinton made only brief reference to her opponent’s treatment of women – she noted his dismissal of the conversation as “locker room talk” – and did not address the new allegations.
She warned voters in Colorado and Nevada not to be turned off by the “pure negativity” coming from her opponent.
Her campaign had signalled earlier in the day she would go even harder on Republicans, but after news of the fresh allegations, she demurred. She continued to make newly prominent and explicit pitches for Democratic congressional candidates in tight races, including Florida representative Patrick Murphy and Nevada Senate candidate Catherine Cortez Masto.