A further 15 Russian athletes have appealed against their exclusion from the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. John Coates, president of the Court of Arbitration for Sport, announced the appeals during the second day of the International Olympic Committee’s pre-Games session in Pyeongchang.
An earlier appeal by 32 Russian athletes over their omission was expected to be heard at the Ad hoc Division of CAS today. Forty-three Russians were banned for life from the Olympics in the wake of an IOC investigation into evidence of state-sponsored Russian doping at the Sochi Winter Games in 2014.
CAS overturned the suspensions of 28 of those athletes and partially upheld 11 other appeals. That decision was met with widespread criticism and IOC member Adam Pengilly said during today’s session: “Faith by athletes in the legal system is probably at an all-time low.”
CAS announced on Wednesday afternoon local time that the case of the 32 Russians had been adjourned.
And when the panel reconvenes to hear the case on Thursday, it will also consider the new case involving the 15 athletes.
The IOC has been given until 9am local time to provide its written submission, with the panel scheduled to reconvene at 12 noon.
“The panel’s decisions are expected to be announced either late in the evening of February 8, 2018 or in the morning of February 9, 2018,” CAS said in a statement.