Easter long weekend is a lovely time to nourish yourself with some good food! From Tiramisu to hearty muffins to share with your family – we have you covered.
Healthy, delicious, gorgeous and safe Easter cheat treats for the family this April. We assure you these will be warm, fragrant and tempting to say the least. Chef, Indira Roy, gives us a few delights to experiment with.
Ingredients for sponge cake (for 6 servings):
• 4 large eggs
• 60 g powdered erythritol
• 2 tbsp maple syrup (without sugar added)
• 100 g melted butter
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 150 g almond flour
For the Mascarpone cream:
• 475 ml heavy whipping cream
• 250 g mascarpone cheese
• 1 tbsp powdered erythritol
• 1 tbsp maple syrup
• 120 ml coffee
• 4 tbsp cocoa powder
Recipe (sponge cake):
• Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Separate the egg whites from the yolks, and place them in two separate bowls.
• Beat the egg whites until stiff. Use an electric mixer.
• Add the erythritol and maple syrup to the egg yolks and beat until the mixture turns pale yellow. Add the melted butter and the baking powder and mix. Finally, add the almond flour and mix again.
• Fold the egg whites into the mixture with a spatula.
• Cover the pan with parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Let the cake cool down for 3 hours and remove it from the tray.
• Whip the cream.
• In another bowl, whip the mascarpone and add the sweetener.
• Using a spatula, mix the cream and the mascarpone.
• Pour the coffee into a bowl.
• Cut the sponge cake into strips. Dip them in the coffee and form the first layer at the bottom of the rectangular cake.
• Spread a layer of mascarpone cream on top.
• Add another layer of coffee dipped sponge cake and cover with another layer of cream.
• Dust some cocoa on top and let it cool in fridge for 3 hours.
Hot Cross Muffins
• 2 cups almond meal
• 1/2 cup coconut flour
• 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup or raw honey
• 6 eggs
• 250 grams coconut oil (or ghee or butter)
• 2 apples peeled and grated
• 3/4 cup of unsweetened sultanas (or raisins, be sure to check for nasties!)
• 1 tsp nutmeg
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• apple (for the crosses)
• Preheat your oven to 180°C.
• Line 12 muffin tins with large muffin cases.
• In a large bowl, mix the almond meal, coconut flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl.
• Add the maple syrup, butter, and eggs and mix well.
• Now add the apple and sultanas. Mix again until it forms a dough.
• Once the mixture is all combined, roll into 12 even balls.
• Place them into the muffin cases and press down a little.
• Slice apple into thin strips and place on top of muffins to make crosses.
• Bake in over for 20-30min, or until golden brown and cooked through.
A lovely Easter break to all