Kiwi’s are the perfect addition when tossed into desserts, smoothies and fruit salads. This neon,juicy, sweet-sour fruit is packed with nutritional source of Vitamin C. Did you know Kiwi is actually a berry and also known as Chinese Gooseberry. There is no end to the number of ways you can include the fruit in your daily recipes. This festive Easter month, whip up a number kiwi recipes to delight your kith n kin.
Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi gives us a few recipes based on Kiwifruit to add a distinctive flavour to your food.
Yellow Kiwi Upside down Cake
- Peel and slice two kiwis and chop the rest into 1 cm cubes. Mix the chopped kiwis with two table spoons of refined flour and set aside.
- Take a cake mould and brush with butter and sprinkle the brown sugar around.
- Now line the cake with kiwi slices.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Whisk together butter and sugar in a separate bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and continue beating.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Now add the flour and fold the mixture carefully.
- Pour over the flour mixture in the mould.
- Bake at 180 deg C for about 55 mins.
- Cool and remove from the cake from the mould carefully.
- Garnish with seedless cherries on top and pour the melted caramel on top.
Kiwi White chocolate Mousse
- Melt marshmallows in a glass bowl on double boiler.
- Make kiwi puree in a blender.
- Cook kiwis and sugar together for about six to eight minutes or until the mixture is thick.
- Now remove two tablespoons of the mixture and add the rest to the melted marshmallows.
- Remove from glass bowl from hot water bath and add in the white chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has melted and the whole mixture has become homogenous, shift the bowl to an ice bath.
- Once the mixture has reached room temperature add whipped cream.
- Chill the mixture in a refrigerator or in an ice bath until the mixture is stiff.
- Pour in a piping hot bag and portion in individual glasses.
- Top up the glasses with a spoon full of the cooked kiwi mixture kept separately.
- Cool for about three to four hours.
- Serve chilled.
Make pulp of 5 Kiwifruit leaving one for garnish.
Blanch two tablespoons of pistachio and grind to a fine paste.
Soak basmati rice for 15 minutes and grind to a coarse powder.
In a pan pour sugar and add the kiwi pulp, cook together until very thick, this would take roughly about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a sauce pan boil milk until reduced to almost half.
Now add the coarsely ground rice and cook until the mixture turns thick and the rice is cooked, this would roughly take about 10-12 minutes.
Add the pistachio paste and cook further for about two minutes.
Remove and cook to room temperature stirring all the time.
1) Peel and puree yellow kiwi. Cook together with sugar and set aside.
2) Now blend all the other ingredients in a bowl along with kiwi puree, except the chopped pistachio.
3) Pour the mixture in piping bags and pipe in a glass bowl.
4) Top with pistachio and serve chilled.