By Deborah Thomas
There are several causes of baldness or hair loss in men and more men are now beginning to experience baldness as early as in their twenties. Men’s baldness used to be a sign of getting old and it was common to associate men’s baldness, grey hair to old age. Besides genetics, the high consumption of junk food, high levels of stress and a host all other man made problems has rapidly increased men’s baldness.
Resolving men’s baldness has become a million dollar industry with phenomenal amount of hair and scalp products available to buy. No matter how much is spent on treating this, the key factor is to understand the causes and either start preventing it now. It becomes more of a challenge when then causes of baldness are purely due to chemotherapy or thyroid disorder.
Whatever the situation, the first step is to understand causes and work hard to preventing baldness by practicing the dos and don’ts. If you are already losing your hair, or in a completely bald state it is recommended to get a medical check up to rule out any other hidden problems. Here are the facts and causes and tips to resolving men’s hair loss and baldness.
Basic Hair Facts
- Most people lose about 50 – 100 hairs and anymore are considered hair loss.
- The average scalp is covered with 100,000 hair follicles.
- Male baldness can start as young as the teens, twenties and thirties.
Causes of Hair Loss
- Hair is made of a type of protein. If you follow a poor diet filled with junk foods or a restricted diet such as being a vegetarian or vegan, you may not be getting adequate amounts of protein, causing a deficiency and hair loss. Too little iron is yet another contributor to baldness. Although men need less iron than women do it’s still an important nutrient. Protein, Iron and Zinc are the most essential.
- Genetics plays a big role in whether or not you keep your hair. When it comes to male pattern baldness, this gene is inherited from your mother’s side of the family. Taking a look at the relatives on your mother’s side could be a good indication as to the future of your hair.
- Stress is another major cause of hair loss. When you’re under a great deal of chronic stress it wreaks havoc on your hormones, causing an imbalance. A popular havoc is the financial stress because of the economic downturn there has been a huge increase in hair loss and it’s now common to see a higher number of men in most financial districts nearly or completely bald.
- Other reasons for male baldness are certain medications, illness, fungal infections, chemotherapy, and thyroid disorders.
Preventing Hair Loss
There are several ways of maintaining a healthy scalp, which will prevent or reduce hair loss. Fortunately, they are so simple and effective that if you put in the dedication and time in, you get some good results. Below are some great options to try.
The first step is to regularly massage your scalp at least once a day preferably after washing your hair. Spending a few minutes a day on your scalp will improve the blood circulation on the your scalp and open up all those clogged up the pores. Hair products containing mint is highly recommended for promoting healthy hair.
Having a balanced diet on a daily basis regardless of being a vegan or not is the key to preventing any hair loss. Foods rich in protein, Iron and Zinc boost your tissue growth and helps keep your scalp and hair stay healthy. These foods regulate the man’s hormones essentially keeping the testosterone levels in check. It is wise not to go on overload as high levels of testosterone are linked to hair loss from studies. Suggested healthy foods or diet must contain fish, nuts and soy products.
Reduce Your Stress
Life itself on a daily basis can be very stressful and reducing stress levels generally can be challenging depending on one’s line of profession. No matter what line of job you are in, taking time out and a having a good sleep will generally re-energize your body, ultimately reducing your stress levels. Getting some regular basic exercises or simple meditation techniques will reduce stress levels. Most of all, making time to do things that make you happy and having fun will make a difference.
Seek Medical Opinion
Several medications are known to cause hair thinning, hair loss resulting to men’s baldness. Different people react differently to different medication and it’s wise when you find that your hair is falling out excessively to visit your physician in order to establish the cause of the hair loss. Using zinc or iron supplements if caught early can easily treat some cases. For severe cases, prescribed medication may be necessary. There are now so many options available and also hair transplant is now very popular for those who feel they cannot live with being bald.
Is it wrong to be bald? Absolutely not and depending on how you carry yourself, bald men can have a sexy and appealing look. It is all about the feel good factor and self esteem. To you bald men out there that are worried about this look, it’s time you stopped and wear your baldness with confidence.