The UN human rights office says it has verified the killings of 115 Yemeni civilians and other non-combatants in air strikes carried out over 11 days by the Saudi-led military coalition batting Yemen’s Shiite rebels.
The news comes as reports emerged this morning that a ballistic missile targeted at the kingdom’s royal palace has been shot down by the Saudi-led coalition according to the Reuters news agency
UN Human Rights office spokesman Rupert Colville said UN officials are “deeply concerned” about a surge in civilian casualties from air strikes after the killing earlier this month of Yemen’s former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Mr Saleh was killed by the rebels, known as Houthis, after apparently switching sides and turning against his former allies. Mr Colville told reporters the killings occurred in four northern areas from December 6 to 16, including air strikes on Yemen’s rebel-run TV channel, a hospital in the port city of Hodeida and a series targeting a prison in Sanaa that killed 43.
Meanwhile, a ballistic missile targeted at the kingdom’s royal palace has been shot down by the Saudi-led coalition accoridng to the Reuters news agency. Citing local media the agency say there were no immediate reports of injuries.
There has been no official statement from the Saudi government.