Tensions rise as protesters continue to defy Myanmar junta over coup

Myanmar, Burma protests in central city

Sightings of armoured personnel carriers in Myanmar’s biggest city and leaked orders of an impending internet shutdown raised political tensions, after vast numbers of people around the country flouted orders against demonstrations to protest the military’s seizure of power.

Public concern has already been heightened for the past few nights by what many charge is the military’s manipulation of criminals released from prison to carry out nighttime violence and stir up panic.

Ambassadors from the United States and Canada and 12 European nations called on Myanmar’s security forces to refrain from violence against those “protesting (against) the overthrow of their legitimate government”.

They condemned the arrests of political leaders and activists as well as the military’s interference with communications.

“We support the people of Myanmar in their quest for democracy, freedom, peace, and prosperity,” they said in a joint statement issued late on Sunday night.

“The world is watching.”

The military seized power on February 1, detaining the country’s elected leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, and members of her government and preventing recently elected politicians from opening a new session of Parliament.

The junta, led by Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, said it was forced to step in because the government failed to properly investigate allegations of fraud in last year’s election, which Ms Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party won in a landslide.

The state election commission refuted that contention, saying there is no evidence to support it.

There was no official word about why armoured personnel carriers traversed the streets of Yangon in broad daylight, making their way through busy traffic.

As night fell, there were videos and other reports on social media of the movement of lorries packed with soldiers, and in the central city of Mandalay as well.

An order that appears to be from the Ministry of Transport and Communications told mobile phone service providers to shut down internet connections from 1am to 9am Monday.

It circulated widely on social media, as did a notice said to be from service provider Oredoo Myanmar containing the same details.
protests in Myanmar, Burma; Military Coup
Several users contacted through other means confirmed that access though Myanmar’s broadband and mobile services were cut as scheduled.

Previous leaks of government orders to limit internet access have proven accurate, and the US Embassy issued a caution to American citizens about the military movements and possible internet shutdown.

The authorities have previously sought with mixed success to block social networks, and also shut off access to the internet for about a day.

Monday holds the prospect of two flashpoints for the political standoff.

Ms Suu Kyi remains under house arrest, but a remand order holding her on a minor charge of possessing unregistered imported walkie-talkies expires on Monday and a court in the capital, Naypyitaw, is supposed to take action on her case.

Her freedom is a major demand of the protest movement.

Khin Maung Zaw, a lawyer asked by Ms Suu Kyi’s party to represent her, said he was uncertain if she would have a court appearance Monday, and it could be delayed by a day.

He has not been able to make contact with Ms Suu Kyi.

There is also the possibility that a young woman who was shot during a demonstration last week, also in Naypyitaw, will be declared legally dead.

She has been on life support in a hospital in the capital, and unofficial memorial services were held for her Sunday at protests in Yangon and Mandalay, the country’s two biggest cities.

Large demonstrations were also held in Naypyitaw and far-flung corners of the country dominated by ethnic minorities.

Resistance also took place in cyberspace, as a group calling itself BrotherHood of Myanmar Hackers defaced the government’s Myanmar Digital News website, replacing content on its home page with words and pictures against the military takeover.

Protesters in Yangon again rallied outside the Chinese and US embassies.

They accuse Beijing of propping up the military regime and applaud Washington’s actions sanctioning the military.

There were scattered appeals on Twitter for armed intervention by the United States.

Other protesters carried signs urging people to boycott businesses linked to the military.

Eight days of street demonstrations are estimated to have drawn hundreds of thousands of people to the streets despite the threat of six months’ imprisonment for violating an order banning gatherings of five or more people.

The same order imposes an 8pm to 4am curfew.

Sunday’s activism took place after the ruling junta issued a new order suspending several basic civil liberties.

The order, issued late Saturday and published Sunday in state newspapers, suspends provisions in an existing law on security and privacy protection, allowing the authorities to carry out searches and make arrests without court warrants.

It also allows the interception of electronic and other communications without a warrant and permits the detention of detainees for more than 24 hours without court permission.

Civil servants have been very active in the protests, and social media postings on Sunday indicated that state railway workers have joined them, with some unconfirmed claims that they have gone on strike.

The public at large has been alarmed since the government last week declared an amnesty that led to the release of more than 23,000 convicts.

There are many claims on social media that some have been recruited by the authorities to carry out violent activities at night in residential areas to spread panic, especially by setting fires.

Some areas have responded by setting up their own neighbourhood watch groups.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.