If you suffer from strawberry legs, you know how annoying, embarrassing and distressing it can be! Fret not folks, help is at hand! During summer months, don’t we all want to wear our best outfits, get a little sun on our legs, however the darkened pores on the legs can make it difficult for us to bear the sight.
Strawberry Legs are also known as blackheads, dark skin pores or open comedones, which are a result of ingrown hairs, sebum, dirt and dead skin cells lodged in hair follicles. Hence when they are exposed to the environmental air, the oil tends to get oxidised and darkens as well.
The name strawberry legs comes from the fact that it resembles dark, dot-like spots found on a strawberry fruit. Although this can happen in any area, the common areas are legs, upper arms and bikini area. Here are some easy peasy ways to get rid of strawberry legs this season.
Treat as Acne
The products that one would use on pimples and acne work well on strawberry skin too. Ingredients like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide kill bacteria, unclog pores and remove dead skin cells besides Retin-A and vitamin C also work to prevent darkening caused by clogged pores. You could get a body wash that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide or even crush a few Aspirin, add a few drops of water and apply the paste on the affected area, wash it off once it has dried off.
If you like shaving your legs, make sure your blade is sharp and preferably use a new blade every time. Blunt blades are a big cause of ingrowth due to unsmooth shave. You could also exfoliate before shaving to get a clean, close shave.
However if you prefer waxing, you should ideally scrub for three days before getting waxed and steer clear of scrubbing or moisturising on the day of your waxing. This is because bare skin allows a better grip and removes hair properly. Post the waxing session, apply a soothing toner like rose water.
Exfoliating is a fabulous habit for the skin, helps unclog pores and aids strawberry legs condition. You should ideally use a scrub on alternate days starting two days after your hair removal treatment. This is when the hair follicles close and trap hair underneath, also a good scrub helps remove the dead skin cells, permitting curled up hair to show up.
You can make your own natural scrub:*
Mix brown sugar with aloe vera gel and lemon juice.
* Mix with 2 tablespoons of sugar with a squeeze of lemon juice and a small amount of gel.
* Mix until the mixture is well combined.
Dry skin is more prone to strawberry legs, so when your skin is dry, the hair is unable to push its way out, hence curls back underneath your skin, resulting in ingrowths. You should ideally moisturise twice daily to soften your skin, making the hair push through easier.
1. Cucumber is not only a healthy snack, but it is perfect for the normal or sensitive skin. Mash up the inside of a cucumber, removing the skin first. Use twice per day by applying to your skin and rubbing it in gently, allowing it to soak in naturally. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
2. Tea tree oil is an ideal herbal remedy for most skin conditions, including acne due to its anti-inflammatory properties, but it is also a good way to get rid of strawberry legs too. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil into some olive oil. Rub gently into the legs in circular motions and do it once a day.
3. Brown sugar is a better exfoliator than white sugar. It gently exfoliates and eliminates dirt, oil and ingrown hair from the pores and makes the dark spots less visible. Mix 2 tablespoon brown sugar and 2 tablespoon aloe Vera gel, add 1tsp. lemon juice make it into a smooth paste.
Apply the scrub on your wet legs. This is a healing, anti-inflammatory scrub. You may gently scrub your skin in circular motions using a soft loofah focusing on the affected parts, rinse your legs with lukewarm water. Massage your legs with olive or jojoba oil to get smooth soft skin and do it once or twice a week.
4. Salt is a fantastic exfoliating agent besides it increases blood circulation which aids to promote quick healing, while the astringent and acidic qualities of buttermilk helps to exfoliate and lighten the dark pores. Mix buttermilk and salt to get a smooth paste, apply on the affected skin with the help of wet towel and then softly rub the skin in circular motion.
5. Coconut and sandalwood oil helps remove bacteria besides being anti-inflammatory and olive oil, Vitamin E oil, almond oil and avocado oil help as emollients. You can add pure glycerin to these oils.
Beauty Expert, Neha Gulati suggests, ‘ There are a few items free of harmful chemicals in your kitchen shelves which can help you dispose of strawberry legs easily.
I would suggest using cucumber juice twice a day, which has amazing skin lightening qualities and helps to reduce the appearance of dark pores. It is so soothing, refreshing and gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin. Apply cucumber juice on the dark pores; leave for about fifteen minutes and wash off with cold water.
Secondly I would recommend egg white which shrinks pores and tightens them due to its astringent properties. Mix egg white from one egg with 1tsp. of lemon juice, apply directly on the dark pores and leave for about ten minutes and wash off with cool water.
Thirdly, I like using baking soda as it has excellent exfoliating properties and its anti-inflammatory so it soothes the skin and reduce the dark patches. This effective scrub can be applied once a day, and made with 1tbsp. baking soda, 1 tsp ground oatmeal, one tsp. lukewarm warm water and mix well to make a thick paste.
Apply the paste on your legs, leave until dry and wash off with cold water.’