British death toll in Tunisia massacre ‘will top 30’

0
Scouse resort in Tunisia

The British death toll in the Tunisian beach massacre is expected to double to at least 30, sources have said.

The latest figure comes after Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond warned that it was highly likely a “significant number” of victims yet to be identified would be British.

A total of 38 people were killed when a gunman opened fire on a beach in the Sousse resort on Friday, with the the Foreign Office already confirming 15 of them were from Britain. Three Irish people are also among the dead.

Flowers presented at the beach to remember those that were killed in the event.
Flowers presented at the beach to remember those that were killed in the event.

Hammond said there had been delays in identifying victims because many were “dressed for the beach, not carrying ID physically on them”.

He added: “There are a significant number of victims who have not been positively identified at this time and it is highly likely that a significant proportion of them will be British.”

He said it was “extraordinarily difficult” to predict where the next attack will happen and was no more likely to be in Tunisia than in a European city.

“Our agencies have been very frank about this over a long period of time now, they cannot guarantee that we will be safe from this kind of self-radicalising lone-wolf attack. It is the most difficult type of attack to detect and predict and therefore the most difficult kind to protect against.”

Marking the gravity of the attack, the Queen took the unusual step of sending her condolences to the families of those killed in the atrocity.

She said the incident had left her and the Duke of Edinburgh “shocked”. The monarch also sent her “deepest sympathy” to those injured in Friday’s brutal slaughter.

Tunisia Beach attack

The killing spree by Kalashnikov-wielding student Seifeddine Rezgui targeted western tourists on the beach at the RIU Imperial Marhaba and the RIU Bellevue and only ended when he was shot dead by police. A bomb was found on his body.

Investigators have revealed they are looking for at least one more accomplice, with an Interior Ministry spokesman telling the Associated Press they are sure that Rezgui had help.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.