Nothing beats a festive biscuit fresh from the oven. Baking is such a joy to do this festive season, just choose a cookie recipe for the big day well in advance. These Christmas cookies and biscuits are all easy peasy and all come with a scent of spice, warmth and festivity sure to fill your home with welcoming aromas. Not more than a few minutes to prepare, these simple baking tips can easily be adjusted in to an afternoon spent listening to carols and waiting for friends to come by.
Mushroom On Cranberry Biscotti
- 50g butter
- 225g cake flour, plus a little extra for shaping
- 150g castor sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 100g dried mushrooms, cut into slices to retain the hint of a mushroom shape
- 75g Cranberries
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- ½ teaspoon finely ground star anise
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and cool slightly.
- Sieve the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and star anise into a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms and the apricots and mix in well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together one of the eggs and the yolk of the second egg, the truffle oil and the butter. Retain the second egg white and whisk slightly to break it up in case you need it to bring the dough together.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the egg and butter mixture into it. Stir until it forms a dough, you might need to add some or all of the leftover egg white to achieve this.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Very lightly dust a work surface with a little flour and shape into two logs, each about 20cm long.
- Cover a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and place the logs on it leaving plenty of space between them.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 40 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife slice the biscotti logs on the diagonal into slices and arrange standing up in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Return to the oven for 20 minutes to allow them to crisp up.
CINNAMON STAR COOKIES (ZIMTSTERNE)
- 100g Marzipan
- 500g Caster Sugar
- 500g Almond Powder
- 150g Egg White
- 30g Cinnamon Powder
- 6 servings Lemon Zest & Juice
- 10g Cocoa Powder
For Royal Icing:
- 90g Egg White
- 2 servings Lemon Juice
- 500g Icing Sugar
- Warm egg white with caster sugar and marzipan on double boiler
- Once sugar and marzipan melts, take it out from the double boiler
- Add almond powder, cinnamon powder, lemon zest & juice and make a firm dough
- Sheet dough at desirable thickness, apply royal icing on it
- Cut into star shape. To get a fine finish, after cutting each cookie, deep the cutter in Whisky or Rum to get nice finish cookies.