Hundreds evacuated after fire breaks out near London nightclub


Almost 300 people were evacuated after a fire broke out near a Soho nightclub.

Fire crews were called to Panton Street in central London at around 1.15am today when a blaze started at a restaurant with flats above.

Two men, a woman and a baby had already left a neighbouring property and 58 firefighters spent three hours bringing the fire under control, evacuating 12 people from an adjoining property.

A further 274 people were led to safety from a nearby nightclub in Haymarket by staff.

No one was injured in the incident, but three floors of the building where the fire broke out were damaged by the blaze, along with a service shaft, London Fire Brigade said.

Station manager Rodney Vitalis, who was at the scene, said: “The building was heavily smoke logged and initially it was difficult for crews to gain access and locate the fire. Firefighters worked hard to bring it under control.”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.