Get the New Year started in style with a selection of glamorous party cakes, sweet dishes to suit the poshest of parties. No year end party is complete without a set of delicious classic desserts to welcome the new year with a bang!
Chefs from L’Opéra Salon de Thé by PVR, New Delhi gives us two mesmerizing and fabulous selection of dessert recipes to take your breath away and to impress the guests this new year.
Chocolate Bûche (Forêt-noire)
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 400g Whole eggs
- 160g Egg Yolks
- 320g Caster Sugar
- 240g Egg Whites
- 80g Caster Sugar
- 80g Cocoa Powder
- 160g Plain Flour
- Pre heat the oven to 185°C.
- Whisk the 320gm caster sugar with the whole eggs and the egg yolks, whisk until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks with the 80gm sugar.
- Incorporate 1/4th of the whisked egg whites into the egg/sugar mixture.
- Fold in the sifted flour and the cocoa powder, then the rest of the whisked egg whites.
- Spread the batter on to a baking tray, and bake in the convection oven at 185 degree for 10 minutes.
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 150g Water
- 150g Cherry Puree
- 150g Cherry Syrup
- 75g White Rum (Optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together.
Chocolate & Griotte Mousse
- 225g Dark Chocolate Couverture 54%
- 80g Full cream milk
- 300g Whipped cream
- 150g Whole Griottine (Cherries)
- Bring the milk to boil. Melt the chocolate.
- Pour the boiling milk on the melted chocolate, mix until smooth and shinny
- Gently incorporate the whipped cream by folding.
- Spread the mousse on the soaked sponge and arrange the griottines (cherries)
- 125g Hazelnut Praline
- 50g Milk Chocolate Couverture 35%
- 125g Feuillentine
- 5g Vegetable oil
1. Melt the milk Chocolate Couverture
2. In an electric mixture fitted with a flat beater, mix the praline with the melted chocolate
3. Add the feuillentine and the vegetable oil and mix.
Vanilla Chantilly Cream
- 500g Whipping cream
- 60g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 no. Vanilla Pod
With the electric mixture, whisk the cream, sugar and the vanilla pod to stiff peaks.
- With a pastry brush, soak the heat of chocolate sponge cake with cherry syrup. Spread the chocolate mousse over the entire chocolate sponge surface.
- Arrange a line of griottines all along the chocolate sponge and sprinkle crunchy praline all over the sponge cake.
- Roll the sponge cake tight. And freeze.
- Cut the logs into desired size and decorate.
500g Flour T-45, 20g Yeast, 150g Caster Sugar, 310g Milk, 150g Whole Eggs, 40g Egg Yolks, 160g Unsalted Butter, 5g Bread Improver, 7g Salt, 160g Raisins, 100g Candied Orange, 70g Candied Lemon, 70g Red Cherries
- To make sponge, take a small bowl. Pour in warm milk 60gm and add 10gm yeast on it. Let stand until yeast has dissolved. Stir in 60g of the flour, cover with cling film, and let stand 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Beat together sugar, egg yolks & Whole Eggs. Add to sponge and stir until well incorporated.
- Combine butter and remaining flour until crumbly. Slowly pour in egg mixture. Add in the rest of the ingredient except the fruits and beat on high speed 3 to 4 minutes, until dough is elastic looking and long strands form. Beat in candied fruit and raisins. Take the dough into greased bowl, cover with cling film, and leave in a warm place to rise until doubled again, about 2 hours.
- Once proofed take out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times to deflate. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and drop into prepared moulds. Let rise in a warm place until doubled again, about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 200 C. Cut an X on top of each loaf with oiled scissors/blade. Brush tops of loaves lightly with egg wash.
After 10 minutes, lower heat to 190 C. Bake for 30 more minutes; if tops get too
brown, cover with foil. Loaves are done when a wooden skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Happy New Year to all!