Bus controllers were not told there had been explosions on three Tube trains before a fourth bomb went off on a bus, the inquest into the 7/7 attacks has heard.
The bombing of a number 30 bus in Tavistock Square, central London, came nearly an hour after the atrocities on the London Underground on July 7, 2005.
The families of some of the 13 people killed in the Tavistock Square bombing have questioned why London’s entire public transport network was not shut down after the Underground attacks.
Andrew Barr, London Underground’s network co-ordination manager, has been questioned about communications between the Tube’s network control centre (NCC) and Centrecom, the control room responsible for London’s buses, on the day of the bombings.
Hugo Keith QC, counsel to the inquest, said to him: “There isn’t very much in terms of the information received from the NCC as to what your thinking was as to the possible cause of the explosions. Because they weren’t aware, until the bomb detonated in Tavistock Square, of the explosions.”
The inquest also heard that nearly all London Underground’s planning for a terrorist incident was based on a single attack.
Islamic terrorists Mohammed Sidique Khan, 30, Shehzad Tanweer, 22, and Jermaine Lindsay, 19, detonated their devices in co-ordinated attacks on three Tube trains within three minutes of 8.50am.
London Underground’s control room issued a “Code Amber” at about 9.18am ordering all Tube drivers to continue to the next station platform and stop, and the entire Tube network was completely evacuated at around 9.40am.
Mr Keith suggested that Tube controllers were hampered by communications difficulties on the day of the bombings, asking: “Would you agree, Mr Barr, that on the morning of July 7 the flow of information to the NCC did not work as well as you might perhaps have expected?”
The senior Tube manager replied: “It was not as good as it should have been.”