Easter Celebrate Easter in style with our scrumptious Easter recipes and treats. Easter is the first bank holiday weekend of the year and to celebrate, here are some assorted meal ideas.
No matter the size or style of your Easter feast, these party-ready recipes will please everyone at your table. And these varied recipes are guaranteed to really win over your family to enjoy over the long holiday.
Swasti Aggarwal – Food Strategist at Foodhall gives us some recipes.
Pulled Jackfruit & Black bean Tacos
Preparation Time – 10mins
Cooking/Baking Time – 20 mins
- 250g raw jackfruit, boiled & pulled
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup boiled black beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1-2 tsp chopped chipotle
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 cup shredded Red Cabbage (for making slaw)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 tsp Refried Beans
- 4 tsp Pico de Gallo
- 2 tsp Chipotle Sour Cream
- Seasoning, as required
• 8pcs Soft tortillas
• Refried Beans
• Pico de Gallo
• Cabbage slaw
• Chipotle Sour cream
- Pull/shred the cooked boiled jackfruit – it should pull apart easily into shreds that look exactly like pulled chicken.
- Heat olive oil in a pan & add the thinly sliced onion, chopped garlic and sauté for 4-5 mins, until softened and lightly caramelized.
- Add the jackfruit, black beans, cumin, chili powder, and chipotle peppers to the pan. Stir to evenly distribute the spices and cook for 4-5 mins, until the jackfruit is slightly crisped on the edges. Season with salt n black pepper to taste.
- To make the red cabbage slaw, add lemon juice and salt to the red cabbage and leave for 10 mins…. Squeeze excess moisture and dress with little chipotle sour cream & adjust seasoning.
- To assemble the Taco with all toppings- Warm the soft Taco and smear refried beans, place two spoonful of pulled jackfruit mixture and top with a spoonful each of pickled cabbage slaw, chipotle sour cream, Pico de gallo and fresh cilantro.
Shrimp & Scallop Coconut Ceviche
Preparation Time – 30 mins to overnight
- 100gm scallops
- 200gm small to medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup lime juice plus 2 tablespoons (about 7 to 10 limes for 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 jalapeno chopped, halved and seeded
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated coconut for garnish
- Slice each scallop horizontally into two thinner disks and cut into eight wedges. Cut the peeled shrimp into chunks that approximately match the size of the scallop wedges.
- In a bowl, pour enough lime juice over the scallop & shrimp pieces to cover. Toss so each piece is covered well in the lime juice bath. Cover top and place the bowl in the refrigerator to marinate for 4 to 10 hours.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining lime juice with the lemon juice, coconut milk, & olive oil. Add chopped jalapeno, cilantro n garlic to the coconut mixture, and stir in the red onion. Season with salt & mix well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- When every chunk of shrimp and scallop is white with no hint of translucence, remove them from the juice. Strain & discard the lime juice. Combine the seafood and the coconut milk mixture, tossing well. Add the mango chunks and toss gently. Taste and add more salt or fresh lime juice, if desired.
Rosemary & Citrus Braised Ham
Preparation Time – 45mins
Cooking/ Baking Time – 4hour (approximately)
Serves – 6 to 8
- 1 Whole cured & smoked bone-in ham with rind, preferably shank end
- 1 ½ cup orange Juice and grated zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice and grated zest
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, as required
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tsp mustard paste
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Arrange a rack in lowest level of oven; preheat to 160°C. Leaving fat intact, remove outer rind from most of ham. Score fat crosswise (do not cut into meat) on top of ham with parallel cuts. Place ham in a large roasting pan.
- Boil 1 cup red wine, 1 cup orange juice, ½ cup lemon juice & 7 cups water in a saucepan for 5 mins. Pour into bottom of roasting pan. Bake ham, basting with this pan juices occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of ham registers 50°C, 2 ½ to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, sauté the shallots and rosemary in olive oil; stirring often, until shallots are very soft, about 10mins, stir in the garlic and sauté. Add ½ cup orange juice. Bring to a simmer, and cook until reduced to 1/4th.
- Cool & transfer mixture to a food processor & blend. Add lemon & orange zest/ rind, mustard, honey, pepper, and salt and mix well.
- Remove pan from oven and increase heat to 180°C. Using a pastry brush spread the citrus mixture over ham properly. Return pan to oven and bake ham, until crust is golden brown, in 15-30mins.
- 6. Transfer ham to a large platter. Rest for 30mins before carving. Skim fat from pan juices, reheat, and pour juices into a medium pitcher; serve alongside.
Spicy Mexican Mango Salad
Preparation Time – 15mins
- 3 mangoes shredded
- 200g cherry tomato diced
- 200gm boiled black beans
- 1 cup julienned peppers
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 red chilli chopped
- 2 lemon squeezed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp grain mustard
- 1 tbsp jalapeno chopped
- Seasoning as required
- Chilli corn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 corn on the cob
- For chilli corn, combine oil, seasoning, garlic and chilli and brush evenly over the corn on the cob.
- Preheat a barbecue grill plate over medium-high heat. Add corn. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 10mins, or until charred. Remove to a plate. Cool 5mins then cut corn kernels from cobs.
- Combine corn, beans, tomatoes and peppers in a large serving bowl.
- Cut the mangoes into 2 cm cubes. Combine in a bowl with coriander and chilli. Add the corn mixture and drizzle over the lime juice, mustard with virgin olive oil. Season and top with chopped jalapeno and coriander. Serve with corn chips.