Four released, eight still in custody in connection with Tunisian massacre

0
Tunisia beach tribute

Eight people are in custody on suspicion of direct links to a deadly attack on a Tunisian beach resort, while police have released four others detained earlier in the investigation.

The so-called Islamic State group claimed responsibility for Friday’s attack, in which Tunisian student Seifeddine Rezgui opened fire on a beach in the resort of Sousse, killing 38 people including 30 British and three Irish tourists.

Government minister Kamel Jendoubi told reporters in Tunis that 12 people in total were detained since the attack, but four have been released.

The other eight – seven men and one woman – remain in custody and are suspected of direct links to the attack, he said.

He did not elaborate on the identities of the suspects or their roles, saying only that the investigation “has allowed us to discover the network behind the operation in Sousse”.

He also urged greater international terrorism cooperation in a “war … between democratic Tunisia and an international jihadi movement”.

More Tunisians – about 3,000 – are believed to have gone to Syria and Iraq to join radical jihadis including the so-called Islamic State group than fighters from any other country.

A top security official said that the student had trained in a jihadi camp in Libya at the same time as the two men who attacked a leading Tunisian museum in March.

That enforced the notion of a link between the two assaults and raised fears of more attacks on this North African nation’s budding democracy.

The attack was Tunisia’s deadliest ever, and threatened to be a devastating blow to the country’s tourism sector.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.