Jose Mourinho has rounded on the Football Association and described his £50,000 fine as “an absolute disgrace”.
The Chelsea boss was handed a one-match suspended stadium ban on Wednesday and hit in the pocket after accepting a misconduct charge from the FA for comments he made about the match officials after the 3-1 loss to Southampton on October 3.
The Portuguese will be banned from the stadium if he speaks out of turn again in the next 12 months.
Mourinho, speaking at Waterstones Piccadilly to promote his book MOURINHO yesterday evening, reacted to the punishment by saying: “Every word I say is a big risk for me. I am happy that I don’t have an electronic tag. I think it’s not far from (that).
“I also think that £50,000 in the world where we live today is an absolute disgrace. And I also think that the possibility of getting a stadium ban is also something absolutely astonishing.”
The Chelsea manager also again hit out at Arsene Wenger without naming the Arsenal boss.
Mourinho felt aggrieved Wenger went unpunished for calling referee Mike Dean “weak” and “naive” following Arsenal’s defeat to Chelsea last month.
Yet the Portuguese was sanctioned for his criticism of Robert Madeley, the official in the loss to Saints. Mourinho said that “referees are afraid to give decisions to Chelsea”.
Wenger also escaped punishment for pushing Mourinho in the Stamford Bridge technical area in October 2014, something which still grates with the Chelsea boss.
Mourinho, who called for the media to “go deep” in examining his fractious relationship with the FA, added: “There is something that, now, we know. One, we can push people in the technical area.
“The word ’afraid’ is a punishment, and a hard punishment. To say the referee was ’weak and naive’… we can do.”
Chelsea won the title last term, in the second season of Mourinho’s second spell, but have lost four of eight Premier League games this term, leaving the manager under pressure.
Chelsea issued a statement of support – the first in the 12-year Roman Abramovich era of ownership – following the Southampton loss and numerous players have backed their embattled manager during the international break, which ends when the Blues play Aston Villa on Saturday.
Mourinho does not anticipate being at Chelsea for the remainder of his career, though – in comments which could be interpreted as a further slight on Wenger, who this month celebrates his 19th anniversary at Arsenal.
The 52-year-old Mourinho, whose book chronicles in pictures his 15 years in management, said: “I’m in the middle (of my career): I did 15, I have 15 more to do. I’ll finish at 67. Maybe later if I can. Can I stay 15 more years at Chelsea Football Club? I don’t think so.
“I don’t think modern football allows it any more, so normally I will not finish my career at Chelsea. I would like to, but I don’t think it’s possible.”
In a separate interview with talkSPORT, Mourinho spoke about claims he has issues controlling Chelsea’s dressing room.
He said: “It’s sad but I don’t care really, I don’t care. I spoke with the players about it and the players are also sad about it, but there is no way to care.”