16.1 C
Monday, May 27, 2024

Journalist who left Pakistan to avoid arrest shot dead in Kenya

Must read

A senior Pakistani journalist living in hiding in Kenya was shot and killed by police after the car he was in sped up instead of stopping at a road block near Nairobi, police said.

Kenyan police expressed regret over the incident, saying it was a case of “mistaken identity” during a search for a similar car involved in a case of child abduction.

Arshad Sharif, 50, left Pakistan in July to avoid arrest for criticising the south Asian country’s powerful military. He was also a critic of the government of Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif, who has repeatedly said he believes in freedom of the media.

Nairobi police said Mr Sharif was shot in the head and killed on Sunday night after the car he was in with his brother, Khurram Ahmed, drove through a road block set up on the Nairobi-Magadi highway to check vehicles along the key route.

They were traveling from the town of Magadi to the Kenyan capital.

The two ignored police orders to stop and sped up. “They did not stop and proceeded with the journey,” police said. Police opened fire and laid chase, during which the car flipped over.

Mr Sharif’s wife Javeria Siddique confirmed that her husband was killed in Kenya. His brother’s condition was not immediately known.

Mr Sharif left Pakistan in July to avoid arrest following a citizen’s complaint against him on allegations of maligning the country’s national institutions, a reference to the military.

His whereabouts were not publicly known. Most of his friends knew only that he had spent time in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, and London.

Nairobi police said the Independent Policing Oversight Authority will take over the case for further investigation.

According to police, the road block was set up to find and intercept a car similar to Mr Sharif’s following a carjacking in the Pangani area of Nairobi, where a child was taken hostage.

Pakistani President Arif Alvi, Prime Minister Sharif, who is not related to the dead journalist, the country’s military and other senior officials in Pakistan expressed their condolences.

A month after he left Pakistan, the private ARY Television fired Arshad Sharif, saying he had repeatedly criticised the military on social media in violation of the TV station’s policy. His talk show Powerplay, which aired on Mondays and Thursdays, was discontinued.

The station had earlier in the year remained critical of Pakistan’s prime minister following the ousting of his predecessor, Imran Khan, in a no-confidence vote in the parliament in April.

On Monday, Mr Khan’s Tehreek-e-Insaf party and its senior leaders, including Fawad Chaudhry, condemned Mr Sharif’s killing and demanded a detailed investigation. Mr Khan also visited Sharif’s residence in Islamabad to express his condolences to the family.

Later on Monday, dozens of journalists rallied in Islamabad over the killing and demanded justice for Mr Sharif.

A court in Islamabad in August asked Pakistan’s intelligence agency and police to stop harassing Mr Sharif after the journalist, through his lawyer, petitioned the court, saying his fundamental rights were being violated by security forces. Police and the government at the time confirmed that Mr Sharif is being sought in a complaint case but said no action had been carried out to arrest him.

Pakistan has long been an unsafe country for journalists. In 2020, it ranked ninth on the Committee to Protect Journalists’ annual Global Impunity Index, which assesses countries where journalists are regularly killed and the assailants go free.

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article