One person killed as car bomb explodes at Italian Consulate in Egypt

0

A group claiming to be terrorist organisation Islamic State in Egypt has claimed responsibility for a car bomb at the Italian Consulate in Cairo, Egypt, which killed one person.

The powerful blast on Saturday morning marked the most significant attack yet on foreign interests as militants target Egypt’s security forces.

The Islamic State in Egypt said it was responsible in a message circulated on social media. But the authenticity of the claim could not be immediately verified although it was distributed by known militant sympathisers.

Egypt faces threats from many groups, including the Islamic State affiliate in Sinai which the military says killed at least 17 soldiers in a recent assault there. Security officials from several branches of Egypt’s security forces previously said the attack killed dozens more.

The bomb exploded in a side street in central Cairo near the building’s back entrance and a busy highway overpass at around 6.30am local time (0430 GMT). Italian authorities said the consulate was closed at the time and none of its workers were injured.

The blast killed an Egyptian passer-by and wounded eight other people, one of whom is still in hospital.

Italian Premier Matteo Renzi spoke with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi after the attack, saying in a statement: “We will not leave Egypt alone: Italy and Egypt are and will always be together in the fight against terrorism.”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.