While in the midst of the Covid pandemic, social distancing and self-quarantine is becoming the norm.
If you’re searching for productive ways to make use of the extra time at home you have available, we have you covered! Try your hand at some easy peasy recipes or make it a fun yet healthy activity for the entire family, especially with children and young adults at home. Get your aprons and ladles ready to cook up a storm, polish your cooking skills and make the most of your time at home with delicious recipes you can make with your loved ones!
- 500g strong white flour
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 300g sourdough starter
- Flavourless oil, for greasing
- Prepare the starter. Take out your sourdough starter and feed it 12 hours in advance. Let it rise for 6 hours, until doubled.
- Prepare the dough. In a large mixing bowl, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sourdough starter and water, and whisk to combine. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 60 minutes. Add salt and fold into the dough for a minute to combine.
- Stretch and fold the dough. Apply some water on your hands and stretch and fold the dough in the bowl by folding the edges over to the centre, one at a time. Cover with wrap and let the dough rest for half an hour. Repeat this step a few more times. After the final rest, the dough gets double the size.
- Shape the dough. Transfer dough to a floured surface and sprinkle a little flour. Shape the dough into a tight ball by folding the edges over to the centre. Turn the dough over and use a bench scraper to push the dough back and forth to create a tight ball. Place the ball of dough into a medium bowl lined with a floured cloth. Cover the bowl let the dough rest at room temperature for a few hours or overnight.
- Score the dough. Remove dough from bowl and place upside down into the centre of a parchment paper. Score the dough. Place dough back into the bowl and cover until oven is preheated.
Bake the sourdough bread. Place a small oven-safe cooking pot with a metal lid into the oven and preheat to 450° F. Gently place dough with parchment paper into the pot. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove lid and continue to bake for another half an hour. Remove the bread from the pot, and allow it to cool fully.
Mixed Seed Butter
- Pumpkin seeds: 336 g
- Sunflower seeds: 336 g
- Chia seeds: 24 g
- Hemp seeds or powder: 20 g
- Sesame: 8 g
- Flax seeds: 14 g
- Sea salt: 2 g
- Coconut sugar or Stevia to sweeten: 40-50 g
- Toast all the seeds.
- Grind them together in a home grinder with coconut sugar. (except the chia)
- Lastly, fold in the chia seeds and sea salt and give it a mix.
- Relish on a slice of toasted sourdough or eat it straight from the bottle!