We haven’t had enough time, Julian Assange’s lawyers tell court


Julian Assange’s lawyers complained they had not been granted sufficient contact time with the WikiLeaks founder, when he appeared before magistrates ahead of an extradition hearing in England today.

Assange, 48, backed by dozens of supporters including performer MIA, spoke only to confirm his name, his date of birth, and to briefly state he did not understand an element of proceedings, during a 12-minute hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

Assange, wearing a black jacket, grey jumper, glasses, and with some stubble and his grey hair swept back, saluted his supporters in the public gallery as he was brought into court.

Later, he slowly raised his right fist to the sky as he was led to the holding cells, after District Judge Vanessa Baraitser granted his lawyer Gareth Peirce extra time with her client.

Assange is currently being held in HMP Belmarsh, awaiting the outcome of an extradition request by the US, where he faces 18 charges, including conspiring to hack into a Pentagon computer.

Ms Peirce told the court there had been a lack of contact time to speak with her client at high-security Belmarsh, something which threatened to delay the serving of evidence ahead of the trial, she said.

She said: “We have pushed Belmarsh in every way – it is a breach of a defendant’s rights.”

The district judge agreed to adjourn the hearing until the end of the day, in order to allow Assange and Ms Peirce a chance to sign off papers and go over their case together at court, rather than have Assange sent back to prison.

About 15 protesters maintained a vigil outside court, chanting Assange’s name and calling for him to be freed.

Such was the clamour for a seat in court that supporters queued for 30 minutes to get into the building, then filed in a line outside the first floor court number one, long before the case opened.

Rapper and singer MIA, real name Mathangi Arulpragasam, was among more than 40 people allowed inside the packed public gallery, all of whom were required to show security they had switched their phones off before entering.

Protesters maintained a vigil outside court

Speaking outside court, the performer told the PA news agency: “I think it was important to follow this case.

“I am off to get a medal at Buckingham Palace tomorrow (an MBE for services to music) and I think today is just as important.

“To give somebody an hour to put their case together is not right.”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.