Ilkay Gundogan has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester City, the Premier League champions have announced.
The German midfielder, who had just entered the final year of his previous deal, is now committed to the club until 2023.
The news ends speculation over the future of the 28-year-old, who joined City from Borussia Dortmund in 2016.
— Ilkay Gündogan (@IlkayGuendogan) August 9, 2019
Gundogan told the club’s website, www.mancity.com: “I am very happy to have signed the new contract. I have hugely enjoyed the last three years here at City and everyone at the club has helped make me feel at home from my very first day.
“It’s a privilege to be a part of this team, playing the style of football we do and winning trophies. It’s very difficult to do that and I’m delighted to be a part of it.
“I’m really excited about what we can go on to achieve in the next few seasons.”
Gundogan’s first season at City was cut short by a serious knee injury but he has been a key part of the club’s back-to-back Premier League triumphs over the past two campaigns.
The deal comes in the week City bolstered their squad with the signings of Joao Cancelo and Scott Carson.
Director of football Txiki Begiristain said: “Ilkay’s new deal is more excellent news for our club.
“He has shown how important he is to the team and has played a huge part in everything that we have achieved so far.
“We are thrilled he has committed his long-term future to Manchester City.”