For centuries, herbs have been the main source of beauty aids. Organic fruits, herbs and vegetables have found their way into woman’s beauty care regime.
For centuries, old-time recipes or herbs were the main source of beauty aids, and thereafter the big cosmetic giants threw upon us chemicals. But then again the world seems to have rediscovered organic recipes in herbs, fruits, and vegetables.
Perhaps our grandma foraged or grew most of her ingredients, but you can often find them in health food stores, supermarkets, and pharmacies. Read on to find out more about the use of exotic items for beauty care.
- Oatmeal for good skin- Mix a handful of oatmeal with little water and make a paste. Apply this mixture on your face and neck. Once dried, rinse the paste with whey, followed by water, and pat dry your skin.
Honey: Rub a mixture of honey, rose water and glycerin onto your face, then wipe it off gently with a soft cloth. Or add a teaspoon of honey to one mashed apple, mix them together, and apply this on your face and neck. Leave it on for some time, and then rinse with cold milk.
Rub cucumber slices on your face to give it a bleach effect.
Add vinegar to the rinse water after washing your hair, or make a rinse of an ounce of mullein, nettle, sage, or burdock, chamomile tea for healthy hair.
For a rejuvenating bath, hang a bag of dried comfrey or rosemary in the bath water.
Just make sure you check out any unfamiliar substance before you rub it all over yourself. Do this by placing a small amount on your inner arm and wait a few hours to check. If the patch shows any reaction, such as redness or irritation, that ingredient doesn’t work for you.
Article by Dr. Rahul Dogra, Operations Manager Kairali Ayurvedic Treatment Centre New Delhi Kairali Ayurvedic Group says, “Ayurveda has been a part of Indian culture since ages. We often tend to ignore the hidden secrets bestowed on us by our ancestors. When it comes to fairness products, there are a lot of expensive products available. These products usually contain harmful chemicals. If you are going to use them you can get short term results, harming the skin in the long run. Ayurveda on the other hand, gives a wide range of herbs that are more effective, almost free and harmless.”
They give us the following list of herbs explained in Ayurveda of beauty and good health:
• Sandalwood is used as an ayurvedic herb for skin lightening since ages. It is one of the most important skin care herb in Ayurveda. It is very effective in the treatment of acne, blemishes, scrapes, rashes and other common skin problems. Sandalwood has a cooling and calming effect on the body when applied externally. It helps the body after overexposure to the sun due to its sweet, bitter and cooling properties.
• Turmeric is long known as a blood purifier and is known for its properties of giving a natural glow and radiance to the skin. It has antibacterial and anti-aging properties. It is used as an ayurvedic herb for skin diseases. Turmeric is used to ensure good health. Turmeric pastes are effective in curing pigmentation as well as sustaining the pH factor. It helps reduce blemishes, acne, inflammation of skin, pigmentation and helps prevent many skin ailments.
• Neem is basically a cleansing herb. In addition, this herb also helps in getting rid of foul body smell, curing acne, psoriasis as well as eczema. Neem is also used for treating general hair problems. People often consume crushed or pulverized neem leaves with water with a view to get gleaming skin. Ayurveda uses the bitter leaves of neem to neutralize the high sugar levels in the bloodstream, which are known to be the basic reason for numerous skin complaints.
• Rosemary, another herb explained in Ayurveda is used for three different purposes – health of the scalp, treating skin and hair complaints. Using this herb makes our skin look refreshing as it invigorates and rejuvenates the dead cells.
• Basil is beneficial for treating blemishes and black spots on the body. In addition, the antiseptic action of basil makes its very effective as an herbal facial.
• Like many other herbs, chamomile too is primarily used to treat skin complaints, eye problems and for health care. Chamomile is used in several forms – oil, face masks, body lotion, and cream for skin care. Chamomile is known to possess anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
• Aloe Vera is one of the most used products in beauty products. It is well known for its anti-fungal, healing, anti-inflammatory and cooling properties since ages. It is used as an ayurvedic herb for skin care. Aloe Vera is widely used for skin care in various forms – soaps, shampoos, sunscreens, gels and so on. The quick comforting properties of this herb basically help to heal skin problems as well as soothe the skin.
• Seaweed is very useful for maintaining the health of the skin as well as healing various skin ailments. When seaweed is used for skin care, it works by pulling out the dirt and impurities from the skin and cleansing it naturally. Seaweed has a number of minerals, which are useful for nourishing hair and treating inflamed scalp conditions.
• Saffron is considered as a most effective agent for skin whitening since ages. It can be used with olive oil for skin lightening.
• Carrot nourishes the skin. It is known for its moisturizing properties. It acts as a reliever for dry and itchy skin, chapped lips and minor infections. It makes the skin smooth and younger looking.
• Cucumber or Seeds of Cucumber acts as a coolant for the skin. It also works as an antiseptic and nourishes the skin. It also helps the skin to look younger due to its anti-aging properties. It also covers wrinkles and fine lines.
• Tulsi is also known for its antiseptic properties. It acts as a natural astringent and give freshness to the skin.
• Almond Oil keeps the skin young and glowing.
• Henna is primarily used for nourishing the hair; it is also applied onto the skin in a number of forms. A paste (mehendi) prepared with a powdery extract from the henna plant is applied to the hair for its nourishment and glow.
Apart from using these natural products it is very important to have a daily routine. It is also important to exercise and have a balanced diet. Ayurveda gives importance to yoga and meditation. It keeps a person young from inside and acts as a source of positive energy.
Go the natural route!